No. of Recommendations: 0
Do I have to leave my current employer to roll over my 401k into a self-directed IRA, or is it sufficient that I am no longer qualified to contribute to the qualifed employer pension program because of increased salary considerations?

Currently I am eligible only to contribute to my employer's retirement stock unit program, a non-qualified pension program. Before moving into this program, I was in the company's 401k program with a rather lackluster choice of mutual funds. I would like to move these funds into a self-directed IRA, based on the premise that even though I am still with the company, I am no longer eligible to participate in it's qualified pension program.

Any advice or guidance on where to research would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any pearls of Foolish Wisdom
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.