Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lanmare Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Self directed IRA Date: 11/4/1999 7:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently sold stock within my IRA at a great loss. For tax purposes, will I be able to take a long term capital loss? Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can get detailed info about gains/loses within IRA.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 4play Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20521 of 121061
Subject: Re: Self directed IRA Date: 11/4/1999 7:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
there are no capital gains long or short within an IRA. You only tax consequence will be upon withdrawal of funds from your account, unless it is a Roth Ira. Sorry

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20604 of 121061
Subject: Re: Self directed IRA Date: 11/6/1999 4:51 PM
I am going to point you here.
You can't period. Now if you want to go spend your time thinking you can good luck. But you can't.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20659 of 121061
Subject: Re: Self directed IRA Date: 11/7/1999 10:20 PM
<<I recently sold stock within my IRA at a great loss. For tax purposes, will I be able to take a long term capital loss?
Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can get detailed info about gains/loses within IRA.>>

Sorry...all you have is a non-deductible loss. It's a two edged sword: if you have gains in your IRA, you owe no current taxes on those gains. That's why it's called a "tax deffered" account.

And if you have losses, they are also not currently recognized on your individual income tax return. You can read more about this in IRS Publication 590 at the IRS web site.

TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement