No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a single taxpayer making $20,000/year. I have a discount brokerage account full of wantabe Foolish equities and two IRA mutual funds.

1. There is an upper limit to the amount of any traditional IRA contribution I may DEDUCT. What is the upper limit on my TOTAL contribution? Can I contribute more than I earned? What about a Roth?

2. I want my IRA cash in equities. Can I, instead of opening an IRA with cash, transfer a portfolio of equity positions into a self-directed traditional IRA? If so, is $2000 still tax-deductible? Or is nothing deductible since I am transfering equities rather than contributing cash? If it is a Roth, of course, there is no deduction regardless - correct?

3. I have a traditional IRA mutual fund account and want to get money out of this underperforming fund and into a Roth IRA portfolio of overperforming stocks by doing a “trustee to trustee” transfer. Since a Roth IRA is “front loaded”, how would the load get paid?

4. Being self-directed, suppose I liquidate (sell) a stock position in a Roth IRA account in order to balance my portfolio, generate cash for another stock purchase, whatever, but NOT with the intent to take a distribution. Can I do this before 5 years is up? That is, does the cash generated constitute a distribution? Can the money generated stay in the Roth awaiting a future investment? But it says here a Roth is “front loaded”. Does that imply that I report the income on Schedule D and pay tax on it? Can the money generated by the sale get swept into a money market account earning tax-free interest while awaiting my contemplated purchase of another stock?

5. Perhaps you can see from the above questions what I am driving at. I want to know the tax-related mechanics of maintaining a self-directed IRA account which buys and sells equities.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement