Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JediTiger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdness Date: 4/17/2006 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've got a good one for all you Tax buffs out there:

My wife participated in 2 medical drug studies for which she was paid for her time. These are studies where they give you a generic of a drug to make sure it works as well as the brand name version (no, I didn't know they did that either)

Anyway, they did not take out any taxes and told her to report the earnings as self employed earnings. The little form they gave her with her 1099-MISC said that the self employ tax is a flat tax around 15% (15.3% to be exact).

So I'm typing away in TurboTax and it asks about other income. Since she did receive other income and it wasn't on a W-2, I clicked 'Yes'. It then asks you to describe the business you earned the income from and then asks for income and expense numbers for it.

This part was easy since there were no expenses just the income from the 2 studies.

Before I entered this 1099-MISC, our federal tax due was $376. After I entered in the 1099-MISC (and related info) the federal tax due jumps to $693.

Since my wife thought that was a high amount, I decided to play with the numbers.

If you subtract the highest federal tax due (including the 1099-MISC) $693 from the tax due without the 1099-MISC $376, you get a difference of $317. According to Turbotax the self employment tax for the amount she earned was $159. So I subtracted the $159 from $317 and get $158.

To my untrained eyes, it seems TurboTax is (virtually) doubling the self employed tax and adding that to our federal tax due.

I have:
- Checked the Sch C and SE forms show the correct amounts
- Contacted TurboTax who determined that the 1099-MISC section was correct so the problem must be somewhere else.

Does what I've said make sense? Does anyone have any experience with this or what direction you can point me in?

Because of attachments, we must mail our return so my wife wants to pay the tax we owe before we included the 1099-MISC and include a note to the IRS that there appears to be a problem with the tax program and are paying on what we are sure we owe. I'm not so sure that's a good idea. What do you think?

Thanks!
JT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Season5 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86311 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/17/2006 7:10 PM
You pay (1) self-employment tax on the earnings AND (2) are taxed on the same income at your highest marginal tax rate. Does it work now? You get an adjustment (deduction) on page 1 of the 1040 for 50% of the SE tax, too.

BP

Author: rozina Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86312 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/17/2006 7:13 PM
Recommendations: 1
If you subtract the highest federal tax due (including the 1099-MISC) $693 from the tax due without the 1099-MISC $376, you get a difference of $317. According to Turbotax the self employment tax for the amount she earned was $159. So I subtracted the $159 from $317 and get $158.

To my untrained eyes, it seems TurboTax is (virtually) doubling the self employed tax and adding that to our federal tax due.

What this tells me is you are in a 15% income bracket and your wife received somewhere around $1125 for her participation. On that she owes income tax as well as self employment tax. The self employment tax is just the social security and medicare portion.

Pay the whole thing today.

Author: JediTiger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86313 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/17/2006 7:32 PM
Many thanks for the advice! Of course, you're dead on. I figured out what the deal was while I was on hold to the IRS. The lady that came on confirmed what you've said.

Thanks!

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86314 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/17/2006 7:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
My wife participated in 2 medical drug studies for which she was paid for her time. These are studies where they give you a generic of a drug to make sure it works as well as the brand name version (no, I didn't know they did that either)

Anyway, they did not take out any taxes and told her to report the earnings as self employed earnings.

She's in the business of being a drug study guniea pig? Do they do this for recreational drugs? Where do I sign up?

I don't give a flying fig what the payors said or what box they put it in on the 1099-MISC, it sounds like line 21 miscellaneous income not subject to self-employment tax to me. Unless, of course, she really is a professional guniea pig.

Phil

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86318 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/17/2006 9:56 PM

Anyway, they did not take out any taxes and told her to report the earnings as self employed earnings.

She's in the business of being a drug study guniea pig? Do they do this for recreational drugs? Where do I sign up?

I don't give a flying fig what the payors said or what box they put it in on the 1099-MISC, it sounds like line 21 miscellaneous income not subject to self-employment tax to me. Unless, of course, she really is a professional guniea pig.

I agree with Phil. Line 21 miscellaneous income. If you DO report it as Schedule C/self-employment income, I would deduct the cost of getting to and from the test site(s) and any other costs directly related to the studies and not reimbursed.

Ira

Author: acm4tax Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 86327 of 121144
Subject: Re: Self Employed earnings with Turbotax weirdne Date: 4/18/2006 1:05 AM
As I was reading this thread, I also was wondering if the wife of the OP was "in the business of..."

I too would have considered the income miscellaneous, line 21 income. No SE tax due. I'd file an amended return if I were you.

Arleen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement