UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: oleary26 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Self Employed Pension's (SEP)? Date: 3/7/2011 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone currently utilize the self employed pension fund? I will be phased out of the Rother IRA and this looks like a way to invest a good percentage (up to 20%) of income before current year taxes? Any advice would be appreciated?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68625 of 76418
Subject: Re: Self Employed Pension's (SEP)? Date: 3/7/2011 4:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone currently utilize the self employed pension fund? I will be phased out of the Rother IRA and this looks like a way to invest a good percentage (up to 20%) of income before current year taxes? Any advice would be appreciated?

I assume you're referring to a SEP-IRA. As the title states, you need to be self-employed in order to qualify. Depending on your self-employed income and how much you want to save, a solo 401k is also an option. The SEP-IRA is easier to setup and there is no ongoing paperwork requirements like there are with the solo 401k.

If you're phased out the Roth IRA, you could just contribute to a non-deductible traditional IRA and then immediately convert to Roth. However, this tactic is typically only beneficial if you don't have other deductible IRA contributions.

-Steph

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement