No. of Recommendations: 0
I used to work for many years and have a pretty
good Roth IRA. Now, I'm self-employed. From what
I understand from Fidelity (where my Roth IRA
is) that I can contribute this year (2001) if I
have either compensation or earned income(for
self-employed). What is earned income? Is it the
profit from my business? What sort of income
in my business (selling specialty merchandise)
would be considered "earned income". I was under
the impression that I could not contribute to
a Roth IRA, but had to open a Keough plan (which
I may do for next year), but am I wrong? Can I
contribute? Thanks.

Howard Dean
Alameda, CA
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.