UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: hmd929 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75827  
Subject: Self-employed Roth IRA Date: 3/5/2001 11:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I used to work for many years and have a pretty
good Roth IRA. Now, I'm self-employed. From what
I understand from Fidelity (where my Roth IRA
is) that I can contribute this year (2001) if I
have either compensation or earned income(for
self-employed). What is earned income? Is it the
profit from my business? What sort of income
in my business (selling specialty merchandise)
would be considered "earned income". I was under
the impression that I could not contribute to
a Roth IRA, but had to open a Keough plan (which
I may do for next year), but am I wrong? Can I
contribute? Thanks.

Howard Dean
Alameda, CA
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28294 of 75827
Subject: Re: Self-employed Roth IRA Date: 3/5/2001 11:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
"Self-employment income. If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor), reduced by the deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans and the deduction allowed for one-half of your self-employment taxes. " from http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs/p5900102.htm

A Roth IRA is in a group that should be viewed as different from the Keoghs, SEPs, SIMPLEs, 401ks, 403bs, etc.

Here's a link to the IRS Pub on Roth IRAs:
http://www.irs.gov/forms_pubs/pubs/p590ch02.htm

JB

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28300 of 75827
Subject: Re: Self-employed Roth IRA Date: 3/6/2001 10:20 AM
To answer your other question...

The only restriction on contributing to a Roth IRA is your AGI. Depending on your filing status you may be able to contribute if your modified AGI is up to $150,000. Please see the Fool's IRA pages at:
http://www.fool.com/ira/2001/ira.htm?ref=taxin
or
http://www.fool.com/money/allaboutiras/allaboutiras.htm

Author: rjm1 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28302 of 75827
Subject: Re: Self-employed Roth IRA Date: 3/6/2001 4:31 PM
I used to work for many years and have a pretty
good Roth IRA. Now, I'm self-employed. From what
I understand from Fidelity (where my Roth IRA
is) that I can contribute this year (2001) if I
have either compensation or earned income(for
self-employed). What is earned income? Is it the
profit from my business? What sort of income
in my business (selling specialty merchandise)
would be considered "earned income". I was under
the impression that I could not contribute to
a Roth IRA, but had to open a Keough plan (which
I may do for next year), but am I wrong? Can I
contribute? Thanks.

Earned income is probably close to the profit from your business before you pay yourself.

Your earned income is also what you would pay social security (until you reach the limit) and medicare taxes on. Don't forget to pay these taxes each quarter.

Look at schedule C for the 1040 tax return and schedule SE. Read the instructions and this will probably help.

See IRS.GOV for the forms and instructions.

Also look at a SEP to see if that might meet your needs instead of a Keough plan. Depends on how much you will be putting in.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement