No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello, to preface this question here is a quick bit of info. I have taken a small contracting job which will pay me around $6500 this year. I currently contribute to a 403(b) plan at my regular work as well as a ROTH IRA.
I have read IRS Pub. 560 which describes SIMPLE IRAs and wasn't able to determine the answer to my question from that lovely document.

Okay, since for the purposes of this contract I am self-employed I would like to open a SIMPLE IRA for myself, if possible contributing all of my earnings up to $6500 (the limit for 2001, pls correct me if I'm wrong). I know that with a SIMPLE IRA the employer is required to contribute to the plan as well.

My question is, for self-employed people do you really need to distinguish between the employer contribution and your own? Can I just fill out the form 5304 to establish the IRA at Vanguard and then deposit my checks up to the contribution limit or do I have to somehow differentiate between them to show that half comes from the 'employer', i.e. myself. Also, since the employer matches the contributions can I actually contribute up to $13,000 (assuming I made that much from the contracting)?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.