Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: CRobinson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121587  
Subject: Self-Employed Stuff/Home Office Date: 3/29/1998 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Ok, I'll make this a long post to give all the info.

I left a company at the end of May. June 1 I went to work for myself. I worked out of a home office that is 100% dedicated to the business. I went on COBRA. I entered into a consulting agreement with a single company (not the company I used to work for), all billing/invoicing was done through that company. November 1st I became an employee of the company that I was consulting with. Therefore I received a 1099 for the work I did from 6/1 through 10/31 and a W-2 for the period 11/1 to 12/31. I am still on COBRA, the company has no benefit plan and I am still working out of my house.

I am using TaxCut to prepare my taxes.

Questions:
1. When asked about home office expenses, I assume I have to complete two seperate forms, one for each period. I also assume that the amounts for things like utilities (direct and indirect) are for the period time for the form only, for example an indirect expense for the first form would be the electric bill from 6/1 through 10/31. The program also asks me about insurance costs associated with the property, can I deduct my PMI as well as my homeowners?

2. Where is the appropriate place to deduct my COBRA premium payments. Is it more beneficial to deduct it one way, rather than another?

3. Is there anything else that I should be looking for to help with increasing deductions.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement