No. of Recommendations: 0
I have retired from two companies, and fortunately, I took full advantage of the 401K plans at both....both companies even matched my contributions! (almost!)

Now I am self employed, and I would like to tax defer some of the money I am making, even though it is a LOT less than I made when I was employed by a large corporation.

My problem is that as far as I can tell, the 401K plans allowed me to tax defer around 10% of my salary, while the plans now available to me (IRA's?) permit only $2,000.00.

There appears to be a gross inequity in this.....why can people employed by a company defer so much more money than someone who is self employed? Someone mentioned something to me about a plan called the SEP or "self employed pension"? I have searched the Fool and other sources and cannot seem to find anything on this.....does anyone know anything about it? Where can I tax defer some income other than an IRA, which is not nearly enough for me.....THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.