Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My DW has been watching my brother's kids a few days a week lately, and it will end up being all summer. She is doing this so my brother's wife can go back to work. They pay her a little something (I'll stress little), but by the end of the year, I could see it being $1000-$1500). On the flip side, my DW drives the kids around to all their activities, and pays for lunches, pool fees, and some periodic fun things like the water park. We have no problem with the wasn't a "for profit deal" for us, but my brother would like to give us a 1099 for the income. No problem there either, but if he does, should my DW track all her expenses, so we can deduct all the mileage, fees, lunches, etc.? If not, we are really going negative on the deal, since the payment really only barely covers what we spend.

Any advice?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.