Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
self-employment tax"

Does this just mean I pay what I would normally think of as my part and my employer's part of ss/med?

Right. The bottom line from Schedule C flows to Schedule SE, where you compute the tax. You do get an adjustment to income (no need to itemize) for part of the self-employment tax.

It's all covered in the 1040 instructions.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.