Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Nathar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121338  
Subject: Seller Financing of Home Date: 2/26/2001 1:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I own a rental property that I'm currently not living in and want to sell it, I'm going to realize substantial long term capital gains (it would be 20% plus whatever my state cap gain, right?). If I sell the home as a seller financed home, how does that work for tax purposes? Do I not get the capital gain, and just report the rental interest each year? I guess I might have to report the principal paid to me as capital gain somehow.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BostonCPA Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47196 of 121338
Subject: Re: Seller Financing of Home Date: 2/26/2001 1:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<< If I own a rental property that I'm currently not living in and want to sell it, I'm going to realize substantial long term capital gains (it would be 20% plus whatever my state cap gain, right?). If I sell the home as a seller financed home, how does that work for tax purposes? Do I not get the capital gain, and just report the rental interest each year? I guess I might have to report the principal paid to me as capital gain somehow. >>

You would have an installment sale and you would report a portion of each payment as gain when received. However, any depreciation you have taken on the property must be recaptured and recognized in the year of the sale even if you are using the installment method.

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47197 of 121338
Subject: Re: Seller Financing of Home Date: 2/26/2001 1:38 PM
If you take back a mortgage on the sale of your property, you create an installment sale. You will still recognize the full capital gain, but instead of it all being recognized in the year of the sale, part of it will be recognized each year as the mortgage is paid off (ie., a portion of the principal payments). The interest you receive each year will be reported as income on Schedule B.

Ira

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement