Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121185  
Subject: Selling A House Date: 6/17/2011 11:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If I sell my house and make no money on it, do I have to even report the sale to the IRS?

AM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113526 of 121185
Subject: Re: Selling A House Date: 6/17/2011 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
If I sell my house and make no money on it, do I have to even report the sale to the IRS?

It depends. If this is a hypothetical, see the instructions for Forms 1099-S and 1040. If you sold already, how was tax reporting dealt with at closing?

For the details about the tax treatment of sale of principal residence, see Publication 523.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113527 of 121185
Subject: Re: Selling A House Date: 6/17/2011 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks - seems like (just looking at instructions for Schedule D) we would not have to report it at all. We've never made a dime on real estate. :(

AM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement