UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TLS Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76241  
Subject: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/1/1999 8:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi.

I have an IRA with stocks I purchased in May of 1998 I am thinking of selling some of the poor performing stocks that I have lost money with to date (KO, Boeing). If I sell and buy with in an IRA, what are the costs or tax ramifications? Since it is an IRA, can I buy and sell withinout it affecting my taxes?

Thanks.

TLS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15775 of 76241
Subject: Re: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/1/1999 9:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I don't believe there are any tax ramifications from buying and selling in an IRA.
When you withdraw the money from an IRA the amount withdrawn will be taxed at regular income tax rates. There are no Capital gains taxes due from IRAs nor can you deduct for your losses. So, you can trade as often as you wish without accruing capital gains taxes for any gains on your sales.
Hope this helps
Bill

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15783 of 76241
Subject: Re: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/1/1999 9:38 AM
Yours turns out to me one of the most often asked questions.

As long as the shares are already in the IRA account and the money from selling them stays in the account, the IRS does not get notified and there are no taxes to be paid. Taxes become due only when you withdraw funds from the account. You then pay taxes at the normal rate. You do not get capital gains rates.

So within the account, you may buy and sell at will with no tax implications.

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15805 of 76241
Subject: Re: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/1/1999 7:21 PM
TLS writes:

I have an IRA with stocks I purchased in May of 1998 I am thinking of selling some of the poor performing stocks that I have lost money with to date (KO, Boeing). If I sell and buy with in an IRA, what are the costs or tax ramifications? Since it is an IRA, can I buy and sell withinout it affecting my taxes?

I reply:

Be careful. If you repurchase the stocks within 30 days of the sale, even within an IRA, there is a serious argument that the wash sale rule will prevent you from claiming the loss. Moreover, since the repurchase is in a tax-deferred account, you might never be able to claim the loss; at least under the usual situations in which the wash sale rule applies, the loss is merely deferred. This subject comes up on the Tax Strategies board about two or three times a month. --Bob

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15807 of 76241
Subject: Re: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/1/1999 7:59 PM
Bob78164:

<<<<TLS writes:

I have an IRA with stocks I purchased in May of 1998 I am thinking of selling some of the poor performing stocks that I have lost money with to date (KO, Boeing). If I sell and buy with in an IRA, what are the costs or tax ramifications? Since it is an IRA, can I buy and sell withinout it affecting my taxes?>>>

"I [Bob] reply:

Be careful. If you repurchase the stocks within 30 days of the sale, even within an IRA, there is a serious argument that the wash sale rule will prevent you from claiming the loss. Moreover, since the repurchase is in a tax-deferred account, you might never be able to claim the loss; at least under the usual situations in which the wash sale rule applies, the loss is merely deferred. This subject comes up on the Tax Strategies board about two or three times a month. --Bob"

Bob, I think you may have jumped the gun here. The original poster said that he held the stocks in an IRA, when/if he sells them for a loss (within the IRA) he cannot take the loss on his tax return for the year, so there is no loss to "wash" and he/she need not worry about.

The recurring dispute on the Tax board always seems to involve selling for a loss out of a taxable account and then repurchasing inside an IRA (or other tax benefitted account).

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15839 of 76241
Subject: Re: Selling and Buying within an IRA Date: 12/2/1999 2:12 PM
JAFO31 writes (in part):

Bob, I think you may have jumped the gun here. The original poster said that he held the stocks in an IRA . . . .

I reply:

Quite correct; I must have been more tired than I realized. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. --Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement