Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm confused! I sold some of my company issued options a month after recieving them. I recieved the net pay of about $535 from the company broker, but the total sale was $2270 (original cost of options was therefore $1735).

Now that tax session has arrived, I recieved my W-2 form that includes the $535 I recieved for my options. The company book keeper said that's how these earnings are reported, as part of my W-2 income. Sounds fine to me. BUT, now I've recieved a 1099-B from the broker ("Proceeds From Broker And Barter Exchang Transactions") stating the $2270 amount under Stocks, Bonds, etc.. I called the broker, who said just to keep it for my records. But on the back of the 1099-B statement, it says I have to claim it on a Schedule D form. What the heck?!?

Whats a tax payer to do? How can I claim this amount? I never recieved this amount. I was aready taxed on it through my W-2 income amount. Is anyone out there familiar with this situation? I would appreciate any advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.