Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1128  
Subject: Selling old cards Date: 11/9/2005 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fellow fools,
I have approx 3000 cards starting from 3rd edition and going till Visions, or there abouts. As I have 2 kids, reserve drill, and night classes, I haven't played in a few years. They are taking up a lot of space in my garage (okay, one small box) and I'm interested in selling them off. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the most money for them? Obviously I don't hold out much hope of getting any money for land and the five million healing savs, but what about the cards that have some value?
-Should I try a mass selling on Ebay, go to the local stores, or a combo of that?
-How organized do I need to be? Do I need to inventory every card and it's condition? I think the most valuable cards I have are only $20-25 or so, but I haven't checked in a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have never used Ebay before so I'm a little intimidated by that, but if something like that is the most profitable way to go then so be it.

Thanks
-spookysquid

P.S. I do miss playing and selling these is going to suck, but my babies have to go to college.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1104 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/9/2005 4:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Probably eBay... but you'll need to make a list of at least most of your valuable cards.

What are some of the more valuable cards that you have?

Feel free to contact me off MF.

The Drake

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1105 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/10/2005 9:41 AM
Not sure how to contact you off board.

As for top cards, this is a rough list based on what I believe are "more valuable". Again, it's been a while since I checked and there's nothing, I think, worth over $25 or $30.
3rd
24 dual lands
doppleganger
2 shivans
fork
a couple of nightmares
demonic hoards
Bodygaurd
3 Clones
Bad moon
Gaea's leige
A bunch of Sol rings. I didn't think they were that valuable but I thought I remember seeing that they've gone up in value.

Legends
Boris devilboon (I think I spelled that right)

Ice Age
3 Jester's caps
2 jester's masks

A bunch more stuff that might now be valuable but I haven't checked. What cards from 3rd + 2 years are really popular/valuable that I should keep an eye out for?

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1106 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/10/2005 11:56 AM
You will definitely get good prices for dual lands on eBay, they are always in high demand. For anything that you have playsets of (4), they seem to go for more than 4 times what a single would sell for. Never sell 2, 3, or more than 4 of any card in a lot. They tend to go for less than the multiple of cards in the lot. If you are not an experienced eBay seller, you might consider selling the sets of dual lands separately, and the rest as a lot. List all the other cards in the lot, and give some background on what else you might have buried in your collection. The more detail (but readable), the better. research what you could get on eBay by searching recent completed listings. Then armed with that knowledge you can see what you can get at your local Magic shop. Personally, if you know the right shopkeep, you might get a better price for some of the lesser known cards than on eBay.

The Drake

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1107 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/10/2005 1:26 PM
Thanks Drake

Just to make sure I got this right
-Sell Dual Lands on Ebay,
-check to see if any others are getting premium to local shops and sell where ever is higher
-sell the rest as a lot

Does that sound about right? How much detail would I have to give about the lot? Do I need an exact card count, numbers by series, all the rares? or can I just say "over 3000 from 3rd and on, with a couple of odds and ends from earlier expansion packs"?

Thanks again.

-spookysquid

Author: spookysquid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1108 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/10/2005 4:06 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing, what if I only have 2 or 3 of something? Do I sell them one at a time? Thanks again.

-spookysquid

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1109 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 11:05 AM
Oh yeah, one more thing, what if I only have 2 or 3 of something? Do I sell them one at a time? Thanks again.

Yes, but I would only sell the dual lands or very valuable cards separately. Buy a Beckett Magic price guide (they are new, but thourough).

As for what to include in the lot description: enough cards to give a good idea on what is in the lot as wel as what could be. There are lots of cards from 3rd that are still valuable, but not rares.

The Drake

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1110 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 11:06 AM
Yes, but I would only sell the dual lands or very valuable cards separately.

I would consider very valueable as any card listed at $15-$20 or more.

The Drake

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1111 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 11:33 AM
Buy a Beckett Magic price guide (they are new, but thourough).

Has Beckett taken over that market from Inquest/Scrye? Anybody know if there are price guides available for other CCGs, like Star Wars (the old one from Decipher) or Middle-Earth (the old one from I.C.E.)?

JT,
while we're on the subject, did anyone play Netrunner back in the day?

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1112 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 1:05 PM
Not taken over, but they are muscling in on their turf. IMO: They have a much better layout and guide. Good articles too.

Hmmm.... not sure about defunct ones like SW:CCG from Decipher, or NetRunner.

I played a little NetRunner, a few games is all. I bought some clearanced started decks...

The Drake

At one point, I played:
SWCCG (Deciper)
Mechwarrior
Wildstorms -Still like the art on those.
NetRunner
Magic:TG - still play
Star Trek

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1113 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 1:32 PM
I played a little NetRunner, a few games is all. I bought some clearanced started decks...

If you're unlikely to play it anymore, I'll take whatever you've got off your hands. Cash or trade for old Magic - 3rd. Ed., Homelands, The Dark, Ice Age - I've got maybe 800 cards or so that I've combed through and set the rares aside, so let me know if there's anything specific you might need that I might have.

JT

Author: TheDrake2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1114 of 1128
Subject: Re: Selling old cards Date: 11/11/2005 2:33 PM
If you're unlikely to play it anymore, I'll take whatever you've got off your hands. Cash or trade for old Magic - 3rd. Ed., Homelands, The Dark, Ice Age - I've got maybe 800 cards or so that I've combed through and set the rares aside, so let me know if there's anything specific you might need that I might have.

Cool, as I am very sure that I would not have a use for it in the future. I'll look to find out what I have, probably just a few starters and let you know. What are some of the cards that you would be willing to offer in Magic? I am a fan of black and white.

I am trying to remember how to have someone contact you via email directly, but I cannot remember. I think that you can check a box below when you reply to this post, and it not post it, but will email directly to me. I'll try sending this to you as well as posting.

The Drake

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement