Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: searay58 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: SELLING REINVESTED DIVIDENDS Date: 2/23/2004 2:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just sold my first stock in 2003. A big chunck from my companies employee stock purchase plan. About 4 years worth of monthly purchases.

I see that some of the shares are from dividends that were re-invested. Since I already paid taxes on those dividends, is there anything special I do so I don't pay too much or more tax than I need to?

I also see that Turbo Tax is asking for the grant date in addition to the purchase date. Is this grant date necessary? The person who handles this at my company doesn't even know what that is?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: cstrohm Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70014 of 121572
Subject: Re: SELLING REINVESTED DIVIDENDS Date: 2/23/2004 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
see that some of the shares are from dividends that were re-invested. Since I already paid taxes on those dividends, is there anything special I do so I don't pay too much or more tax than I need to?

You don't need to do anything more special than the way you would normally deal with selling shares from reinvested dividends - you will still have to come up with a basis (cost) of those shares and then deal with the gain or loss from the date you received them until the date of the sale.

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70026 of 121572
Subject: Re: SELLING REINVESTED DIVIDENDS Date: 2/23/2004 5:12 PM
You seem to have posted this message twice. Was it because you didn't get a complete answer in a hour?

Relax and take a deep breath. People on this board are helpful, but do not actually have super-speed :)

I see that some of the shares are from dividends that were re-invested. Since I already paid taxes on those dividends, is there anything special I do so I don't pay too much or more tax than I need to?

For each stock purchase you have a cost basis.
The reinvested dividends are another stock purchase. You'll need to note the price paid for those shares, and that will be your cost basis for them. Does this make sense or should I explain further?

I also see that Turbo Tax is asking for the grant date in addition to the purchase date.
Sorry, can't help with this.

- Megan

Author: topunicorn One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70036 of 121572
Subject: Re: SELLING REINVESTED DIVIDENDS Date: 2/23/2004 10:02 PM
Something happened to my post, because I can't find it. I apologize if this appears twice. However, I may have accidentally posted the original message instead of mine, if that is possible. I am computer illiterate.
If dividends were reinvested, then they become part of the basis for shares of stock. You will not be double taxed, because when you sell those shares, the basis includes the dividend, which will affect the gain or loss.
Information about stock is best summarized in Publication 550, Investment Income and Expenses. Publication 544 talks about Sales and Other Disposition of Assets, and Publication 551 talks about Basis of Assets.
Hope this helps, if you have any more questions, drop a line here, and I will try to help.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement