Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a home that I have been renting out since 1981. the purchase price was 29,500 and the estimated market value is 450,000 at this time. I have been thinking of selling but want to understand what cap gains taxes I would have to pay if I sold it. What forms and publications should I use to estimate my taxes?

the taxes I have to pay will determine if I move back for two years to take the 500,000 break.

Thanks, Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.