Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm planning to sell a rental property I've held since 1992. I am a real estate agent, so know enough to be dangerous here...I am planning to do a 1031 exchange to avoid capitol gains and depreciation...mostly depreciaiton. Ultimately, I'd like to exchange for a "fixer upper" similar type property. Fix it up, rent it out short term (if that's even necessary) and then sell it within several months in order to net out my equity. (Then stock market here I come!) If I'm thinking correctly, I'll still have to pay captial gains, but will not have to pay depreciation? I'm hoping someone can confirm that with me. Also, are there any good reading materials on this subject. Most people in my industry are fairly clueless about the whole deal, and even qualified tax people seem hard to find. Any help for more information would be very very welcome.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.