Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jackh One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 125003  
Subject: Selling the house not bought Date: 8/4/1997 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Here's a question about Capital Gains Tax on a house we might sell.

About ten years ago my mother-in-law bought (for $35,000) a house next door to ours and put it in her own name and my wife's name jointly. Later, she transferred her interest in the house to me. After she died five years ago, my wife and I occupied this house along with our original house.

We own and occupy two adjacent houses. The original has remained the official residence.

We might sell the house ($60,000) my wife's mother bought and transferred to us. If we did, on what basis would capital gains be calculated and taxed? Once sold, the proceeds from the sale would be used to build an addition onto our original house. Does using the money in this way reduce liability for capital gains taxes?

Thanks for any help! JackH

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.