Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a consulting company and have just begun selling my first product (instead of service). It is specialized software used in my field and I am now the distributor for US and Canada (the developer is in Sweden). I will be selling over email/phone. I normally ship a manual and CDROM for purchases, but there is a way to let customers download everything they need.

From my web searches it appears I need to charge Canadian sales tax, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Everything is so vaguely written. Can anyone here help me figure out:

1) if I need to collect sales tax for Canadian sales (I'm based in the US with no presence of any kid outside the state of Minnesota)

2) if so, how much, how do I register to do that and where do I send the money

3) if I don't ship any physical media, does that change the tax situation

It doesn't seem like what I'm doing is such a rare thing, but I haven't found any info directly related to my situation.

Print the post  


The Great Foolish North
Canadian social and off-topic banter.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.