Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Selrac,

You wrote, If you write a put and close to expiration you see that the stock price is below the strike price, will I benefit by rolling over the contract?

You get a premium when you sell the put initially, so what happens if you roll over the position? Do you get an additional premium? Or will just create a debit?

Basically, I'm thinking on what is the best way to prevent a big loss when you see that the underlying stock is going below the strike and below the premium. Will rolling over the position help?

Rolling a position basically means closing the current near-dated position and opening a longer-dated position. It's two transactions. Think of them independently.

So you sold a put on a security and it's ITM. To close it out, you have to buy a put with the same terms to close the position. That causes you to realize the current loss in your put.

Now you're talking about taking that loss and doing what with it? Selling another put with a longer date? Well, I suppose in the near-term that will get you a little cash to help cover your loss... It will also create a new opportunity for loss if the stock continues to decline.

Personally I'd treat selling a put like a limit order where you get paid to place the order. The only difference here is that to acquire the stock, it will (probably) have to be ITM when the option expires. Is that not what you were after?

Of course if you think the underlying security is no longer a good bet, I might just close the position and move on to something else. Or maybe you should buy a put instead. :-)

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement