No. of Recommendations: 0
Semi-conductors, eh? Made me realize the amps I built in the 60s were before this. Speakers I may get to but amp construction – never again.

There are those who insist that the response from tubes can't be beat. IIRC, they order their tubes from Russia because it's one of the few places you can still find them.

It would be bulkier, but I don't see why it couldn't be done if you wanted to. Just allow for cooling. :-)

1poorguy

Tempting thought but while I have heard some really good tube amps I think that phase of me is over. Fun while it lasted but the matching of amp and speakers got too time consuming. I built triode amps (last was a humongous 35 watts) and matching the speaker sensitivity to it was hairy (went through several stereo sets before deciding).

However, building tube amps did teach me something: cats love getting on top of them for the heat. That and small children love pulling out tubes because they can.

I have a lot of vinyl left over from those days (despite several moves) and have a decent enough turntable that when I go through the Yamaha amp I enjoy them – especially since the amp upconverts stereo to ‘all speakers driven’. I guess saying that means I am not a purist. Don’t care.

MichaelR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement