UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PeterRabit Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967488  
Subject: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/19/2012 5:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 98
McCain:

So I wonder why we are starting this new Congress with a protracted debate about a foregone conclusion… . I can only conclude we are doing this for no other reason than lingering bitterness at the outcome of the elections… . We all have varying policy views, but the President, in my view, has a clear right to put in place the team he believed would serve him best.

Of course, in the case of the above quote, the year was 2005, the "Rice" was Condoleezza, the incorrect assertions were that Saddam Hussein's regime had weapons of mass destruction, and the defender ... was John McCain.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/susan-rice-nominati...

Hypocrisy, thy name is Republican.

Peter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 99lashes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838676 of 1967488
Subject: Re: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/19/2012 8:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

Peter

Like having an issue with apparent lies of a Republican, and ignoring and accepting magic truth for a Democrat. Now that is hypocrisy.

You own it.

Emjoy.

Author: olRoger One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838716 of 1967488
Subject: Re: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/20/2012 12:51 AM
Recommendations: 0
It is not so much voting Dem (and holding my nose), but not wanting the sell out that the Repubs have become. Then the Dems are also bought by business.

o R

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1838986 of 1967488
Subject: Re: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/21/2012 6:34 AM
Recommendations: 3

You want to see true hypocrisy?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/nov/20/iraq-afg...

Basically, the US is telling Iraq and Afghanistan to hold certain people prisoner without charges and against their own constitutions.

"The Obama administration not only continues to imprison people without charges of any kind, but intended from the start to do so even if their plan to relocate Guantanamo onto US soil had not been thwarted by Congress. At the end of 2011, President Obama signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act which codifies the power of indefinite detention even for US citizens, and - after an Obama-appointed federal judge struck it down as unconstitutional - continues vigorously to fight for that law. And, of course, the power to assassinate even its own citizens without a whiff of due process or transparency - the policy that so upset Afghan officials when it was proposed for their country - is a crowning achievement of the Obama legacy."

THIS is why I don't support either political party and why I'm reading and posting here less and less. Most "liberal" posters on here will defend this simply because it's Obama doing it and not a Republican. During the GWB era Democrats posted rants here on a daily basis about how GWB and Cheney were defiling the constitution and committing war crimes around the world. Now that Obama is doing the same thing, and even doubling down on the crazy in some respects, those very same Democrats are silent or even supportive.

The election is over but the big topics on this forum are Romneys stupid comments and how the idiotic statements about Benghazi were actually accurate and it was no ones fault that incorrect information was being put out by the government. Susan Rice said what she was TOLD to say on national television and what she said was incorrect. Pretty much everyone knew it and yet she was still told to say it.

In the meantime the US continues to kill people on a regular basis without regard to any laws, international or national. The US also continues the Bush era policies but this time to cheering from the sycophantic liberals who believe Obama is "doing the right thing in a tough situation" as they suggest there's no better way to "keep America and Americans safe."

To be honest I'm disappointed in many of those on the left that I thought actually cared about the truth and the reputation of the US around the world. The ones I used to agree with about how bad GWB was concerning civil liberties and unwarranted use of military power. Now they think that's just hunky dory because their fair-haired boy is at the helm. It all leaves me feeling ill.

Calabogie

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1839003 of 1967488
Subject: Re: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/21/2012 9:23 AM
Great post Cal, and so very true.

Like most of the board, nobody believes in anything really. GWB was amongst my least favorite Presidents (saying it nicely). But you're absolutely correct, the Obama supporters have doubled-down on partisan stupidity and hypocrisy.

Obama is not the evil incarnate Republicans make him out to be, nor is he anywhere close to being what he is portrayed as here and elsewhere. But it's pretty easy to figure out what's really important, and potentially damaging. Republicans won't debate the age-old lie about tax cuts increasing revenue, and they certainly won't discuss the instant flip flop (in public) about raising taxes on the wealthy. At one time, this was called taxing Job Creators. It was all bunk, always has been, always would be. The authors of those plans admit it.

When it comes to the foreign policy and detaining prisoners, Obama makes Bush look nice by comparison. Drones anyone? But when it comes to Benghazi, this is potentially damaging. So it become a war of technicalities, nuance, and total BS.

For many here, it makes them feel important. For some it's just a game, for others it probably keeps them off the streets (which may be a good thing). The election changed everything, it made things worse.

Author: franchot Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1839004 of 1967488
Subject: Re: Senator McCain defends Rice nomination Date: 11/21/2012 9:28 AM
To be honest I'm disappointed in many of those on the left that I thought actually cared about the truth and the reputation of the US around the world. The ones I used to agree with about how bad GWB was concerning civil liberties and unwarranted use of military power. Now they think that's just hunky dory because their fair-haired boy is at the helm. It all leaves me feeling ill.

Good post Cal. After watching the foreign policy debate, wherein the differences betweeen the candidates was either negligible or non-existent, it leaves me wondering how either party manage to market the idea that they offer an alternative to each other on the Dulce Bellum Front. Same old tired old tat. Irrespective of whether Team Cakewalk or Team Peace Prize is in stirrup.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement