UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59135  
Subject: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to remember a term...does it even exist?

I've been taking a variety of eye drops, trying to find the one that will moisten my eyes without causing them to be even drier between treatments than they were before I started this business. What is the term for a solution becoming not only ineffective, but eventually making the problem worse? All I can think of is blow-back, back-track, backlash, feedback loop, and something else (that also includes the word 'back') that I forgot already <sheesh!>, none of which are quite what I'm looking for. DH can't think of it either...dayyam, we usually have different senioritis problems and can help each other out in such cases.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45883 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sorry, this senior brain is getting worse and worse at remembering, too.

I often look up words in the online thesaurus. Could you mean exacerbate?

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45884 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 1:16 PM
Could you mean exacerbate?

Thx Linda, but not exactly. Maybe I just imagined there's a term for what I mean. Or maybe it's a software term for when a bug fix....AHA! I got it! The term I want is rebound effect! Like when taking nose drops for too long makes you incurably stuffy. (Nothing to do with software, but somehow that forced my mind down a new channel where I found rebound, just lurking).

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45885 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 3:10 PM
Vicious cycle?

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45887 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 5:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
Vicious cycle?

Riding my bike uphill ;-)

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45895 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/21/2012 11:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
Try something with a high viscosity -- that helps.

Do you have troubles with your eyes drying out a night? Wear an athletic headband over your eyes. It's cheap, washable, and readily available. If you have have windy or low humidity days, dampen the portion over your eyes.

I have a long-term dry eye problem and tried all sorts of things before coming to this solution. The operating ophthalmologist I had laughed at my solution -- it was so simple! He said he was going to pass the word on to others at his practice and at the hospital.

(BTW, I tried all sorts of other things first and none did nearly as well. Failures include: swimming goggles, tanning salon goggles, and some other things I can't recall.)

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45896 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/22/2012 7:35 AM
Try something with a high viscosity -- that helps.

Thx, I will ask a pharmacist about high viscosity eye drops (you'd think just one of the optometrists I've seen over the years might've mentioned that?). Thank you for addressing this issue!!

Do you have troubles with your eyes drying out a night?

Yes! When I wake up, it's the worst, although my eyes tend to be dry pretty much all the time.

Wear an athletic headband over your eyes. It's cheap, washable, and readily available. If you have have windy or low humidity days, dampen the portion over your eyes.

Wonderful suggestion. I will try, but it's unlikely for me. I've tried sleeping with an eye mask (becasue I've gotten more sensitive to falling asleep with the least bit of light in the room)--like the eye mask they give you in first or business class on a red eye--but they seem to press on my eyeballs and drive me crazy. My husband, however, loves them, and wears them these days when I read in bed when he's trying to sleep (this sensitivity to light at night is a new development for him as well). Geez, I've become like the princess and the pea--getting old sux! (I know, what's the alternative, right?!)

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45933 of 59135
Subject: Re: senior moment Date: 10/24/2012 12:12 PM
"When I wake up, it's the worst, although my eyes tend to be dry pretty much all the time."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you considered using a humidifier at night? Air conditioning tends
to dry the air - course going into the later fall and winter there
will also be a tendency to have dry air.

DW uses an ointment, Muro 128 5% Eye Ointment - a rather glupy salve - on her eyes before bed.
I don't recall whether the purpose is related to glacoma treatment,
dry eyes, or a torn retina she had a few years back - but it is
over the counter and available at many drug-stores. I think it is a dry
eye salve - but best to talk it over with an eye doctor.

Howie52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement