Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yeidel Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121591  
Subject: SEP IRA Date: 4/8/1998 1:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm thinking of opening a SEP IRA with $6,000.00. Vanguard appeals to me because they have minimal fees. Any other suggestions on where to open the SEP IRA are welcome.
I'm new at investing, and I'm wondering how to invest this $6,000.00 I have no stocks so I'm thinking about the S & P 500 and maybe something else.
I already have a variable annuity with Franklin. After reading the Forbes Feb. 9th article-"You have to be an idiot to have a variable annuity"-I realize it's time I started to learn about investing.. I've averaged about 11% annually with very little risk.
I'd really like some feedback.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3339 of 121591
Subject: Re: SEP IRA Date: 4/8/1998 10:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
[[ I'm thinking of opening a SEP IRA with $6,000.00. Vanguard appeals to me because they have
minimal fees. Any other suggestions on where to open the SEP IRA are welcome.]]

While I'm not going to comment on your investment vehicle, I'm a little concerned about your $6k SEP contribution. Since you are new to investing, I'm concerned that you may not know that your SEP deduction and contribution is based upon your net Schedule C income (or some other earned income). And, based upon your SEP amount, your Sch C income must amount to about $46,000. Is this the case? If not, you'll need some help with your taxes prior to your investing.

Remember that you can't just pick a SEP contribution number out of the air. It has to be based upon earned income.

For additional information on SEPs, see IRS Publication 590.

TMF Taxes
Roy

SPECIAL NOTE: I try to answer as many questions as I can each week, and I generally select those that have not been asked before. If you don't get a detailed answer to your question, it is probably because my time is so limited during tax season, or because it has already been asked and answered in this folder in the past, or because it has been discussed in the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area. In order to visit the Taxes FAQ area, go to the Fool's School area (http://www.fool.com/school.htm) and check out "Other Features" in the list box, OR you can jump directly to the Taxes FAQ area (http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm). Additionally, if any references were made to the IRS Web Site, you can get there by pointing your web browser to (http://www.irs.ustreas.gov)

Author: nonqual One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3358 of 121591
Subject: Re: SEP IRA Date: 4/8/1998 6:24 PM
You may be thinking SIMPLE vice SEP IRA. As I read the IRS Pub, you can fund a SIMPLE IRA with up to $6,180 ($6000 x 1.03) assuming you are the only employee.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement