UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nonqual One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: SEP IRA Clarifications Date: 12/4/1998 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Pixy et al.:

I have several questions regarding SEP IRAs:

BACKGROUND
This tax year I have two "after-hour" sources of earned income; one as an independent contractor for a company that will give me a 1099 Misc and the other is a home business I operated on my own as the sole worker/"employee." I exhaust the $10k deferral limit in the 401k at my day job. From your earlier answers, I understand that while I can't use a SIMPLE IRA, I am still eligible for a SEP IRA. Using 13.0435% of the combined net profits, my SEP contribution will be < $2k.

QUESTIONS
1. Even though I'll file two Schedule Cs, can I still have only one SEP IRA account using a single Form 5305? (In essence treating the two sources as different "division" in the same "company"/sole proprietorship.)

2. The home business is now defunct (my business counterpart went to work full-time) and the SEP IRA contribution is small. Therefore, after I make the 1998 contbribution, can I (from an IRS perspective)then transfer most of it almost immediately to an existing self-direted IRA with the same broker in order to use the capital cost effectively in a Keystone or UG 5 strategy in the larger account? My plan is to leave a small balance to keep the SEP IRA open for 1999's contribution from independent contractor income.

(We're in a relatively high marginal bracket, and our interest in this rigamrole is to defer current taxes without incurring uneconomic fees/commissions--Waterhouse advised there is no $25 IRA termination fee if a SEP IRA is closed by transfering it to another Waterhouse IRA.)

Thanks!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7033 of 74759
Subject: Re: SEP IRA Clarifications Date: 12/5/1998 11:03 AM
Recommendations: 0
Nonqual asks:

<<BACKGROUND
This tax year I have two "after-hour" sources of earned income; one as an independent contractor for a company that will give me a 1099 Misc and the other is a home business I operated on my own as the sole worker/"employee." I exhaust the $10k deferral limit in the 401k at my day job. From your earlier answers, I understand that while I can't use a SIMPLE IRA, I am still eligible for a SEP IRA. Using 13.0435% of the combined net profits, my SEP contribution will be < $2k.

QUESTIONS
1. Even though I'll file two Schedule Cs, can I still have only one SEP IRA account using a single Form 5305? (In essence treating the two sources as different "division" in the same "company"/sole proprietorship.)>>

Yes, you may.

<<2. The home business is now defunct (my business counterpart went to work full-time) and the SEP IRA contribution is small. Therefore, after I make the 1998 contbribution, can I (from an IRS perspective)then transfer most of it almost immediately to an existing self-direted IRA with the same broker in order to use the capital cost effectively in a Keystone or UG 5 strategy in the larger account? My plan is to leave a small balance to keep the SEP IRA open for 1999's contribution from independent contractor income.>>

Again, yes you may. A SEP-IRA is just like any other traditional IRA. It may be fully or partially transferred to another IRA when you desire subject to applicable transfer/rollover rules for IRAs.

Regards….Pixy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement