Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JumpyMutant Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121095  
Subject: SEP or SIMPLE Date: 11/23/1999 12:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,
I have my own company (self-proprietorship) and want to start putting money (and keep in stocks) into some kind of IRA.I am the only emploee.
My question is which IRA is better for me considering tax deduction. I make about 60k/yr and can probably put aside 10-15k/yr.
I read some previous messages but couldn't find clear answer.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bytejockey One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21611 of 121095
Subject: Re: SEP or SIMPLE Date: 11/23/1999 1:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

My question is which IRA is better for me considering tax deduction. I make about 60k/yr and can probably put aside 10-15k/yr.

Can't say this will be best for you, but in a similar situation, I had a one-person S-corp consulting firm. To maximize tax-deferred savings, I set up two qualified retirement plans, one a profit-sharing and the other a money-purchase pension plan. The maximum combined contribution between the two plans was 25% of income, which would seem to handle the upper end of the contribution range you're trying to achieve.

If you desire to contribute a lower percentage, there are more choices available - SEP, Simple, etc.

Author: mphipps Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21656 of 121095
Subject: Re: SEP or SIMPLE Date: 11/24/1999 1:40 AM
That is easy. SEP

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement