UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WuLong Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976455  
Subject: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 5:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Grorge Will just popped up as the most shared article of the Washington Post:

Today, while Obama prepares a governmental power grab to combat global warming, sensible Americans, tuckered out with apocalypse fatigue, are yawning through the catastrophe du jour, the sequester. They say: Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the hamsters of sequestration.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-will-the-manuf...

For those of you who skipped BritLit, that's a play on Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Act 3, Scene 1, line 273.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862003 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 12:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 48
Appealing to Shakespeare won't save this bit of Will nonsense. Here is a quote from the column that I think is really important and key to modern
Republican philosophy, "The real choice today is between bigger or smaller unintelligent government."

This assumption is so embedded into the 24/7 drumbeat from FuxNews and Rush and the right wing echo chamber that Republican lap dogs of the ultra wealthy elite think it is fact that can't be questioned. What the teabaggers have been saying since their emergence seems to be, "Government can't do anything right and if you elect us to government we will prove it." Will is a little more sophisticated than that. His messages seems to be, "Government can't do anything right and we Republicans stand opposed to letting anyone try."

It seems kind of strange that the teabaggers wrap themselves in the flag and feign nothing but honor and reverence for the country and the Founding Fathers and the Constitution. Yet, they believe that the country and government formed by those honored founders is incapable of doing anything right today. They feel obligated to neuter the government they claim to respect so it can't do any more harm to them.

This all sounds a lot like the joke about the three legged pig. When questioned about it, the farmer replied, "That's a very special pig, and a pig that special you don't want to eat all at once."

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862004 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 12:56 PM
And yet you have been unable to rationally contradict one point that Will made. What does that make you, other than a name caller?

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862016 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 1:31 PM
And yet you have been unable to rationally contradict one point that Will made. What does that make you, other than a name caller?

LOL. Good one. Can you cite a relevant point you think Will made?

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862018 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 1:39 PM
Recommendations: 3
"LOL. Good one. Can you cite a relevant point you think Will made? "

You first. You are the one that trashed his opinion without any legitimate argument.

Then I will respond.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862020 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 1:44 PM
Recommendations: 2
Nice post. Too bad it address zilch of the real issue: that the sequester - Obama's brainchild - really amounts to nothing and despite that he's lying and scaremongering over it.

Talk about sheep bleating...that's precisely what the left is engaging in.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862029 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
You first. You are the one that trashed his opinion without any legitimate argument.

You just did respond . . . with nothing. Thank-you.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862031 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:27 PM
"You just did respond . . . with nothing. Thank-you. "

ROTFLOL You have shown yourself to be nothing more than a name caller. No substance. Nothing to counter Will's points.

I submit that when it comes to fiscal and economic policies you don't have a clue. Or maybe you are simply afraid to argue.

Which is it?

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862033 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 4
Too bad it address zilch of the real issue: that the sequester . . . really amounts to nothing . . .

While I don't agree that it amounts to nothing, there are plenty of Republicans and Democrats trying to frighten the other side into flinching and surrendering to their position. I actually believe that with all the faults of the sequester, it is probably the best legislation we can hope for given the present make-up of Congress.

It won't be good for the US economy for us to reduce employment (through spending cuts) when recovery from the Bush Recession is still ongoing. And as even Will mentions, the cuts are not going to be well thought out and appropriate. But it is going to take more time and a few more elections before we are able to build a functional Congress again.

I don't know if Republicans have really thought through their long-term strategy on this. Maybe they really believe that these kinds of cuts to government funding and employment will have a positive effect on the economy and they will be able to take credit for that. It appears that most legitimate economists disagree. The prevalent thought is that this may stall, or even reverse, recovery. If that is the case, then Democrats stand to gain quite a bit in the next election by placing the blame for not doing something different on the Republicans.

And you can bleat and whine all you want about this being Obama's plan. It is clear that he is not the one keeping us from moving to a better plan now. That's what voters are likely to remember.

Author: FKJacobs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862034 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:41 PM
Recommendations: 2
salaryguru...

I believe you are correct.... What passes for the Right today's fear and hatred of government makes them unable to govern.

It is like hiring a bunch of good Southern Baptist preachers as wine tasters...

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862037 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:50 PM
"It won't be good for the US economy for us to reduce employment (through spending cuts) when recovery from the Bush Recession is still ongoing."

Yeah, 85 billion in spending growth reductions will cause unemployment. What is that? a fraction of the overall GDP? You buying the political elite' argument that is for one purpose only i.e. a power grab. Gullible much?

" And as even Will mentions, the cuts are not going to be well thought out and appropriate."

They will never be "well thought out". Top priority is reducing the deficit and balance our budget. With this congress and president, I will take a reduction in spending growth not matter how it comes.

"And you can bleat and whine all you want about this being Obama's plan. It is clear that he is not the one keeping us from moving to a better plan now. That's what voters are likely to remember"

Yeah, he is the one that created the crisis. And for simple reason: Never let a crisis go to waste. His presidency has been nothing but on crisis after another. Don't you wonder why. Either it is deliberate strategy on Obama's part or he is a failed leader.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862038 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/24/2013 2:51 PM
"What passes for the Right today's fear and hatred of government makes them unable to govern"

ROTFLOL Who is creating fear from the bully pulpit? Hint: It's not congress.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862337 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 9:19 AM
Recommendations: 5
Meanwhile, while you and yours deride anyone with a differing opinion, call them all sorts of names, the country limps along like a running back with a torn ACL.

Forgetting about the fact that such a very large part of Obama's stimulus went to the big banks and Wall Street firms you guys hate so much, Obama continued with his Balanced Approach policy. He just signed an enormous defense bill, yet he is practically hysterical that such a tiny reduction in the Additional expenses planned will ruin us all. Hint, compare the Sequester with the bill for Super Strom Sandy and tell me you don't feel even a tiny bit silly.

The hysterical scientists have been alarmed about global warming for so long now, some of us actually checked to see if our feet are wet yet in the mountains. We actually checked out Obama's recommendations for cutting expenses, part of his Balanced approach. We wondered about where his drones might kill someone next, and whom they would target.

So while super liberals ignore all the bad things that Obama has done, many of us that are neither Teabaggers nor liberals, wonder if anyone will actually read the facts. The sequester may not be the best way to do anything, but at this point, it's a rounding error in the world of wild and crazy government spending. We've gone from spending trillions of dollars, all of it debt, to wondering why our roads still suck. (yes, Obama has another plan for that too).

Color me skeptical, but I join tens of millions of others, Democrats, moderates from both parties and Libertarians, that think our leaders are FOS. Leave us with an economy supported by a Federal Reserve using funny money to prop up the mortgage and lending markets, horrendous infrastructure that continues to crumble, and continued deficits as far as anyone can see.

Tell me smarty, who's the three legged pig sale man?

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862341 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 9:25 AM
The most cogent PA post in months:

Forgetting about the fact that such a very large part of Obama's stimulus went to the big banks and Wall Street firms you guys hate so much, Obama continued with his Balanced Approach policy. He just signed an enormous defense bill, yet he is practically hysterical that such a tiny reduction in the Additional expenses planned will ruin us all. Hint, compare the Sequester with the bill for Super Strom Sandy and tell me you don't feel even a tiny bit silly.

Boom. I don't know why this is so tough for libs to grasp.

So while super liberals ignore all the bad things that Obama has done, many of us that are neither Teabaggers nor liberals, wonder if anyone will actually read the facts. The sequester may not be the best way to do anything, but at this point, it's a rounding error in the world of wild and crazy government spending. We've gone from spending trillions of dollars, all of it debt, to wondering why our roads still suck. (yes, Obama has another plan for that too).

Color me skeptical, but I join tens of millions of others, Democrats, moderates from both parties and Libertarians, that think our leaders are FOS. Leave us with an economy supported by a Federal Reserve using funny money to prop up the mortgage and lending markets, horrendous infrastructure that continues to crumble, and continued deficits as far as anyone can see.

Because this, too, had to be repeated.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862344 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 9:31 AM
And you can bleat and whine all you want about this being Obama's plan. It is clear that he is not the one keeping us from moving to a better plan now. That's what voters are likely to remember.

I could care less who's idea it was. Might even be the best idea yet. It's certainly better than Obama's plan, which really hasn't been seen yet. Does he want more taxes equal to the tiny cuts? He just got his tax hikes, and they barely paid for a hurricane.

There's a huge gulf between No Tax Hikes Ever, and Obama. We just don;t know the brilliant plan he has for the country. After four years, he's still complaining. But he can complain all he wants, but his current rhetoric about the sequester being devastating has most sane people thinking he's just a politician, albeit a pretty petty and useless one.

He has plans to reduce the deficit by more than $4 trillion, but every time someone suggests cutting expenses, he gets all alarmist. His current rhetoric is basically identical to his campaign rhetoric. Every single time he's faced with spending cuts, he mentions Investing in this or that. A popular term during Clinton's reign, it falls on deaf ears now as our country limps along towards a $20 trillion debt burden.

Most Americans know he has little to offer, his supporters just pretend he does.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862420 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 1:50 PM
Recommendations: 53
Does he want more taxes equal to the tiny cuts? He just got his tax hikes, and they barely paid for a hurricane.

No, he got the tax hikes the Republicans, kicking and screaming, would finally agree to. They were much smaller than "he wanted."

But he can complain all he wants, but his current rhetoric about the sequester being devastating has most sane people thinking he's just a politician, albeit a pretty petty and useless one.

Actually, public opinion is largely with the Democrats here:

And more would blame congressional Republicans (45 percent) than President Barack Obama (32 percent), the non-partisan Pew Research Center found in its survey.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/two-three-americans-seque...

He has plans to reduce the deficit by more than $4 trillion, but every time someone suggests cutting expenses, he gets all alarmist.

Dude, he has presented at least a half dozen plans, and Republicans keep rejecting them because they include 12 cents worth of tax hikes. Alarmist? I should say. I've never seen a political party so intent on destroying the economy as the Republican Party is today.

By the way, how's that "reduce spending and balance the budgets" thing working out in Europe? Oh, you mean every single country that's gone that route is going in the crapper? Quell surprise.

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862449 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 5:19 PM
No, he got the tax hikes the Republicans, kicking and screaming, would finally agree to. They were much smaller than "he wanted."

You might know that I was never against the tax hikes. But even the largest amounts he wanted didn't put a dent in his spending plans.

---------

Dude, he has presented at least a half dozen plans, and Republicans keep rejecting them because they include 12 cents worth of tax hikes. Alarmist? I should say. I've never seen a political party so intent on destroying the economy as the Republican Party is today.

By the way, how's that "reduce spending and balance the budgets" thing working out in Europe? Oh, you mean every single country that's gone that route is going in the crapper? Quell surprise.

_________

I've read all his plans. They are hogwash, pure hogwash. For that matter, so are the Republican plans. You see, it's not the 12 cents or whatever of tax hikes that troubles me. It's the fact that it's all the imbecile can offer. His expense "cuts" are not cuts at all. Heck, look at the deficits out past 20 years!!!

As for Europe? Many of those countries are in, and have been in, technical bankruptcy. They are only alive now because of the good deeds of smarter people. That's not enough for them. How do you create growth from debt which would not be extended by any sane country?

They have no money! They have no credit! They are in the crapper because they're greedy and stupid. Greece, Spain. Come on man. People have been discussing their ineptitude for many, many years. It became a siren song for a decade, the PIGS will get us.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1862461 of 1976455
Subject: Re: Sequestration Farce Date: 2/26/2013 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 0
"They are only alive now because of the good deeds of smarter people."

Huh?? They are alive because the financial manipulation that has gone on by financial institutions. This will be short lived and a very high price will be paid there as well as here.

The only way out for the European Union countries is to create one debt among all the countries.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement