UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AridianDreamer Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265914  
Subject: ***Serious Question*** Date: 11/20/2000 12:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 25
Hello,

I post often on a board called "Gimme My Stars", which is currently facing criticism for possibly abusing the recommendation and star reward incentives offered by TMF.

Here is my question:

Does GMS cost TMF money or make TMF money?

Everyone who posts to GMS, likes the TMF site, and lurks or posts to serious stock boards, and/or uses paid services by TMF.

But...is the massive amounts of posts, stars, and recs, somehow costing TMF money?

Here is my guess:
I figure TMF makes money in a few different ways:
1. Advertising dollars
2. Soapbox
3. Paid services offered by TMF

GMS, indirectly, I would think, contributes to the 2nd and 3rd revenue streams, as the odds are that the more often someone hangs out at TMF, the more likely they will buy services...

GMS, directly, I would assume, contributes to the 1st revenue stream, as (and I am guessing here) advertisers use statistics on page views, number of users, etc..., to determine the traffic and eyeballs a site can offer. GMSters post more than anyone on TMF, and probably spend the most time at TMF per day...

But what are the costs involved in maintaining all the posts on GMS?
Is it worth it?

Should I pull a Bernard Sampson and drag all the GMSters to a Yahoo Club board?

I hear people on "Improve the Fool" call for the extermination of GMS...
I hear Trenchrat decrying the dilution of the importance of stars and recs, due to GMS...

The GMSters are a happy and fun bunch, that enjoys the friendships that TMF has allowed them to create, on this free website. We also hardly ever get on these anti-TMF rants which are so in vogue elsewhere...

So...does TMF want "Gimme My Stars" to pack it up and go away?

Thanks for any and all replies,
Dreamer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement