Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RPMick Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8965  
Subject: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
No jokes here...everyone in the office already took a crack at me for looking into this...I don't know if I can take anymore...

What kind of exercise routine, if any, have people used to aid in their golf game? Other than specific workouts and particular weight exercises, has anyone considered or even used Yoga?

I am reading more and more that the Yoga routine with the ball...no laughing now...is very benificial to ones flexability and balance, thus aiding in their golf game.

Makes sense to me? Just don't want to go starting something without getting some feedback from folks who may have tried it.

Thanks.

-Ryan
(who will close the curtains and send the wife to the store when he breaks open the kit)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LuckyUte Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4082 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 6:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Ryan, I think Yoga is an excellent idea. Not only will you improve your flexibility, but you will also improve the ability to focus, quiet your mind, and concentrate.

Roger

Author: TMFBogey Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4083 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 7:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
am reading more and more that the Yoga routine with the ball...no laughing now

My God! What kind of sissy.... :)

Actually, what's wrong with yoga? I think you'll find that people who want to make fun of you for doing yoga have their own issues to deal with :) Go for it. Whatever makes you better.

Besides, rumor around the office is that TMFBarmin wears a garter belt during his rounds to stay focused, just like the guy in Bull Durham. I've never indpendently confirmed, of course.

Bogey

Author: UTgopher Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4084 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 7:51 PM
am reading more and more that the Yoga routine with the ball...no laughing now

You may also want to consider Pilates for "core" strengthening. It does work. Pilates has helped my flexibility and ability to coil. Also, my back isn't sore after a round.

FWIW

UTgopher

Author: LuckyUte Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4085 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 8:36 PM
Besides, rumor around the office is that TMFBarmin wears a garter belt during his rounds to stay focused, just like the guy in Bull Durham. I've never indpendently confirmed, of course.

Well, I can't speak to that, but I do know that if you praise his driving and for scoring par a few holes in a row, you will jinx it.

Roger

Author: RPMick Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4086 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/12/2004 10:56 PM
My God! What kind of sissy.... :)

Actually, what's wrong with yoga? I think you'll find that people who want to make fun of you for doing yoga have their own issues to deal with :) Go for it. Whatever makes you better.

Bogey

Thanks Bogey....I fell out of my chair laughing with that reply....

-Ryan

Author: waymee Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4087 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/13/2004 7:37 AM
Ryan,

I belong to a health club and I started doing a class called Body Pump three years ago. It is a routine of high-repetition weights set to music. During the course of an hour you complete ten tracks that work every major muscle group. Since I started Body Pump, my game has improved by 3-4 strokes per 18 holes. It improves overall muscle tone and flexibility by forcing you to use muscles that you normally wouldn't. It has made my swing feel more natural and my body doesn't "resist" it as much.

This ties in to Yoga in a couple of ways. There is somewhat of a stigma (at least in my club) about Body Pump for the men. There are only 1-2 other men who do it regularly and the rest of the class (10-15) are always women. The "real men" do bench presses and bicep curls on the weight machines. I don't give a damn about it and you shouldn't either (about Yoga). It works. If those men ever did Body Pump, they wouldn't be able to walk the next day from being so sore.

My club also offers "Pi-Yo", which is a combination of Yoga and Pilates. I have tried it a few times and it is too damn tough for me. Granted, I have only tried it after doing Body Pump and I am usually pretty pooped, but still. Ryan, if you can get to the point where you can hold positions in Yoga and/or Pilates you will definitely see an improvement in your game. It is not easy. Go for it!

Waymee

Author: Dodgeball Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4088 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/13/2004 9:01 AM
Ryan,

I took a "better backs" Yoga class a few years back, and it really helped with my flexibility. I was playing several times a week then, the class really helped maintain my overall fitness level.

Dodgeball

Author: TMFBarmin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4089 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/13/2004 9:07 AM
Recommendations: 2
Ryan,

First off, anything that helps with flexibility and balance can only be good for the golf swing. Before each round, I have a 10 minute stretching routine that I do before I leave the house. Then I do a little bit more when I get to the course.

As for Bogey's assertions of me using a certain textile ware to improve focus while on the the course, it is just absurd. I am not going to take offense and get my, Victoria Secret Second Skin Satin® Collection in their exclusive Lycra® enhanced fabric that feels as fabulous as it fits, Low-rise, bikinis in a bunch about it.

Bogey likes to talk, he never seems to actually want to play, but he does like to talk, and talk, and talk.... ;)

Curt

Author: TMFBarmin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4090 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/13/2004 9:16 AM
Recommendations: 1
Well, I can't speak to that, but I do know that if you praise his driving and for scoring par a few holes in a row, you will jinx it.

Roger

Roger,

Yeah, I guess you're right. But, on the other hand, at least I know what it's like to have things going well enough that they could be jinxed.

I hope that someday for your sake, and for those that play with you, that this will happen for you too.

:)

Curt

Author: scratch72 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4126 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/18/2004 4:24 PM
Yoga and Golf:

The best golf instructor I have ever seen, with amazing credentials, took nine months off in Australia where he studied to become a Yoga Master. Sounds crazy, but he did so because it does add flexibility and improve the mind (discipline?) with respect to golf.
I never tried it, as I was quitting at the time, but I really respect him and am sure he wouldn't have done it if it were not very beneficial.

Author: RPMick Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4127 of 8965
Subject: Re: Serious Replies Only Please... Date: 4/18/2004 6:28 PM
Well, thanks for the support group effect here, Yoga training starts today as my first 3 rounds of the year have not brought me under 90.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

-Ryan
(who will still close the blinds and lock the doors when he does his little exercises)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement