UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: foolkath Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: setting goals Date: 10/25/2004 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
IN our one year retirement, we set goals.

Mine was to be a better dancer. So I am finding ways to do this well without spending lots for lessons.

I also have a goal of learning to speak spanish. Any great ideas?

I can go to the local bakery where they only speak spanish. I will learn a new word each day and enjoy my home made bread at the same time.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 764 of 1498
Subject: Re: setting goals Date: 10/26/2004 2:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1

I can go to the local bakery where they only speak spanish. I will learn a new word each day and enjoy my home made bread at the same time.

Learning Spanish is one of my goals as well.

Bakery sounds like a good idea--here's some other low-cost ideas:

- Watch Spanish TV programs--Sesame street in Spanish is a good one for newbies.

- Listen to the Spanish radio stations

- Find a Spanish speaker who wants to learn English--then trade lessons.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 765 of 1498
Subject: Re: setting goals Date: 10/26/2004 6:08 AM
Recommendations: 0

It's certainly not without cost, but I've enjoyed intensive month long courses in Malaga Spain. I chose the live with family option, but not everyone enjoys that. My parents have done the same thing in Mexico, which was a tad cheaper, but it was part of a more structured program towards their masters degrees.

There is nothing quite like immersion for encouraging you to learn.

Author: BattleAxes Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 769 of 1498
Subject: Re: setting goals Date: 10/27/2004 12:01 PM
Recommendations: 2
For learning Spanish, use GIS (the Google Information Service). There are many free sites with help on "learning Spanish".
For example:
http://studyspanish.com/index.htm

Once you get the basics down, go try to read "spanish news" sites:
http://www.univision.com/portal.jhtml

If you get brave enough, try finding a spanish language chat room.

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 773 of 1498
Subject: Re: setting goals Date: 11/2/2004 5:06 AM
Recommendations: 0
Our big goal was to add on a lovely new living room, foyer and powder room -- and we just now finished it all, afetr a year of hard work! (We did a lot of it ourselves, including the wiring, insulation, and even floor tiling!)

How wonderful it was to have an open house last week -- and even have the home blessed by our rector -- and to just sit in the new living room and enjoy..... ahhhhhh.

Otherwise, our "goals" are to enjoy life, whatever that may mean -- time with grand kids, church work, reading, making love (!), dining out, whatever!

It is SO nice not to have to do what others tell us to do, and to live on our mountaintop, with views that do not include buildings or roads. We love it.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement