No. of Recommendations: 0
I am a physician with a practice set up as a corporation. After the 1997 tax bite (ouch), I want to proceed with setting up a retirement plan for myself and my employees. Been meaning to do it for a while. Nothing like a kick from uncle Sam to get you going!! I am paid as an employee of the corporation. I would like to defer the maximum amount of my compensation that I can. I believe that I will have to set up a 401k and/or profit sharing plan.

Now the question(s). Most of the entities that want to "help" us out with this,have an agenda of their own, and are certainly not "foolish". Most push high load Mutual funds as the investment vehicles of choice. Can I use a discount brokerage firm after I have my accountant draw up the plan document? The accountant would also administer the plan.

Would this fulfill my fiduciary responsibilities? Can the employees invest as they see fit, or do I have to limit their options?

I want to defer taxes on the maximum amount of my compensation, but I do not want to limit myself to mutual funds. Did any of this make any sense?
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.