Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
setwil writes (in part):

I am getting a non-deductible IRA for 1999 because I maxed out my company's 401K plan.

I reply:

Phil hinted at this, but I'll say it outright. If you are eligible for a Roth IRA, that is what you should contribute to. Choosing a Roth IRA over a non-deductible traditional IRA is one of the few no-brainers in tax law, because qualified earnings from a Roth are never taxed, whereas qualified earnings from even a non-deductible traditional IRA are taxed as ordinary income. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.