Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Several considerations on this one and you should check with your accountant.

US citizens and residents are taxed on world wide income although there is usually an agreement which you can use so as not to pay double tax. You need to ascertain your tax domicile. There are tests (e.g. physical presence, residency) which determine whether you can use foreign exclusions or foreign tax credits.

Even after all that you do not have a US tax liability, you should still file, especially if you are a resident alien temporarily away.

Hope this helps.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.