UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Leviathan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308782  
Subject: Re: Stutsman County State Bank - long... Date: 12/13/1999 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Several years ago, I decided that one way to improve my credit would be to bite the bullet and get one of those horrid "Pay us $100 to get a $200 credit card" Visas. I got it through Stutsman County State Bank. I applied for the card by mail about three years ago, and several weeks later went on vacation.

I went the following day, reported it to the police, and then in turn mailed a copy of the police report as well as my airline ticket stubs to Stutsman, to prove that it was not humanly possible for me to have been on the West Coast on vacation, yet charging gas on the East Coast. I never did receive a "stolen credit card report" from them. I did agree to pay them the yearly fee for the card, which I did (stupid, I know!) However, I refuse, and still refuse, to pay for the charges that were put on the card. And so they threw me into collections.

I still cannot get these people off of my credit report. Now, they have pawned me off onto another company, Orchard Bank, who is giving me the "opportunity" to get a Visa with them, with a credit limit of what I "owe" Stutsman.

I have written to Equifax, sending them a copy of the police report, yet I keep getting the answer that the "debt has been verified."

I wouldn't even care at this point, except for I work in a field which requires pretty extensive travel, and to do that, you need a credit card. I (and I am cringing as I write this!) gave in yet *again* and now have a Visa through Providian, with a pathetic credit line. This is where it gets ugly - my corporate card is a Diner's Club, which few companies take. I'm also looking into working for another company, but am terrified that if I have to travel for them, and they don't have corporate credit cards, that I will have to sit and explain my situation to them.

I edited your post for length, in case you were wondering. I'm sorry you've been getting so messed over and frustrated. Hopefully, this will give you some help.

1. What can I do about the evil entity of Stutsman?

Your first item of business is to fix whoever it is that keeps reporting to Equifax the bad debt. Is it Stutsman or is it Orchard? Equifax should be able to tell you that. Also, sending them whatever documentation you want will do absolutely no good. They don't care. All they do is investigate and since it keeps (erroneously) getting reported as correct, you are going to have to cut the problem off at the bud. Find out (they should at least be able to give you a number) who keeps reporting this and go straight to them.

Now, get mean and angry. Send them a letter detailing your situation one more time. Include all your documentation and end it by informing them that you expect them to clean up the mess, fix your credit report, and send you a letter confirming this in 60 days. Otherwise, you will be visiting your lawyer and suing them for all they are worth because this erroneous report is harming your life. If you get one more collection call or attempt, the company will be yours. You get the idea. Keep copies and send it certified return receipt so you know that they receive it. Hopefully, this will fix it otherwise you just may have to visit a lawyer. After you get it fixed on their end, dispute the report with the credit reporting agencies and it should be gone for good.

As for getting a credit card for business travel, you might want to sit down with the company and explain your situation to them. Hopefully, with you being a valuable employee, they will find some way to get you a card for business travel on the corporate account that leaves you without having to prove your personal credit-worthiness.

Leviathan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement