UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885039  
Subject: Re: Did Some Living (New Car) Date: 11/1/2012 10:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
SG,

I highly recommend giving a new driver your old car and getting new/used one for yourself. You know what your old car has been through and what possible repairs it will need.

Buying a cheap POS for them can be very counterproductive, if the seller lied through their teeth, or even if severe problems develop because of age.

I happened to luckily space my two boys by five years between them. (Total happenstance, since #2 son was a surprise<g>.) They have very different personalities.

Fwiw, a Subaru Impreza is an exceedingly safe car. Son #1 lost control of his 2002 Impreza WRX (w/ some "encouragement" from a muscle car driver) at 70+ mph on I-70 in Topeka about 3 years ago. The car was totalled, but he walked away from the accident. (He was very stiff and sore for a couple of days.) The dealer said they've had at least 5 people tell them they wanted another one, just like the old one, because of similar experiences.

Be advised, the first car for a teen will influence future car purchases. #1 son inherited my '94 Infiniti G20 w/ a 5-speed. (It was the Japanese equivalent of a BMW 3-series, but a lot cheaper<g>.) He absolutely loved the manual transmission.

#2 son inherited my used '99 Audi A4 w/ an automatic and Quattro (all-wheel drive). He's currently driving a Jetta w/ an auto-tranny and can deal it. He still pines for the Audi, even though he managed to get water in the engine while chasing tornadoes/thunderstorms.

Spend a little time seeing if the car fits the driver!

PM

PS. MDH considers my Impreza 5-door a very competent utilitarian vehicle.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement