UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58804  
Subject: Re: cahs for clunkers - disaster of a program Date: 1/7/2013 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
SG:"The article states that many Cars for clunkers were never sent to recycling facilities (many isn't a number. How many is important or this is just BS. The program provided for cars to be sent to recycling facilities for 180 days. Everything that could be recycled in that period of time was available for recycling. The government allowed the free market to determine how much opportunity to take of this 180 days and they made that choice. I looked for any kind of estimate about how much recycling of CARS trade-ins actually got recycled without success. So I don't know how much recycling actually got done, but I do know that car dealers had the option to recycle for 180 days before shredding.)"

The normal cycle for a car is to go to a junk yard, where high dollar items such as doors and hood and trunk deck, the transmission and drive train and accessories - radios, brakes, wheels, drive shaft - sit until someone has a need for a 1979 Jeep rear end for model XYZ. Obama insisted that you had 180 days to find a buyer or shred the car. You couldn't 'inventory' those parts.

You had to 'destroy' the car.

That ran up the price not only of used cars, but of used car parts and pieces.

Of course, that was the union's goal...force more people to buy new cars.....each one costing the energy equivalent of 1850 gallons of gasoline - about 40 barrels of oil -

Sort of like the 'stimulus' of breaking 1000 random windows in town to create jobs - that of fixing the broken windows.

Cash for Clunkers was nothing but porkulus for the auto industry. You got to buy your neighbor down the street a new car. With your tax money. And your grandkids will be paying off the money borrowed to do it too.

I"d call that an epic fail!

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement