UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967489  
Subject: Re: Texas Schools Failing Date: 1/20/2013 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Shall we talk about Chicago schools?

You can if you want, but we're talking about the entire STATE of Texas here, not just a city. If you want to compare Dallas to Chicago, feel free.

Setting aside the partisan stuff....schools in the Metroplex are similar to those in Chicagoland, mainly that the public schools in the most affluent areas have the best metrics, while those in the poor inner city areas have the worst metrics. I can tell you that if you run a CORREL of SAT scores to percentage economically disadvantaged for every non-magnet high school in the entire Metroplex, you get a correlation coefficient of -0.88. Which is insanely high, but likely the case for almost every urban area in the country.

I can also tell you that, in general, given "comparable" areas, the Chicagoland schools have slightly better test metrics than the Metroplex schools. TAG and SEM in Dallas are often rated as at or very close to "best high schools in the nation", but bear in mind that TAG had a class of 44 people in it in 2011, out of...I dunno, some 10,000 students in one class in all of DISD? It's great, but it's a HIGHLY competitive magnet. SEM is similar, about 89 in its class. You want I can get you the exact numbers.

Hell, I'm gonna guess I've put more research into Dallas area schools than everyone else posting on this thread combined, as well as a comparison of them to Chicago area schools. But let's not have stuff get in the way of partisan sniping. That's much more fun.

-synchronicity, has reasons to investigate Metroplex schools and think about them beyond scoring some political points. But yes, Texas public schools have lots of issues, and yes, I think about them Every.Darn.Day
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (37) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement