UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DufusGoneSplat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 3/14/2009 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I admit to being not much of a reader, but my upcoming vacation (about a month) includes 2 long flights and some relaxation on a beach. As such, I would like to purchase 3 (or so) paperbacks to help pass the time. I don't even know the book "classifications". I hope this is the right board to ask for help.

I like both fiction and non-fiction. In terms of movies probably prefer drama, thrillers, and mysteries the best. I have picked out books from airport book stores - you know - those "best seller" shelves, and they've been OK (no romance, please!)

Do any of you have favorite books that keep your interest and make you want to turn that page? All responses are appreciated!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1452 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 3/14/2009 9:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
While he tends to be too complex and verbose for some readers, Richard Powers: ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Powers ) is one of the most creative and intriguing authors writing today. It's best to start off with one of his early works, or even to read them in order.

Author: DufusGoneSplat Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1453 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 3/16/2009 9:35 AM
I would like to thank you all for offering these reading selections. Given all these suggestions, it looks like I have a bit of work deciding on my purchases. Maybe I’ll buy more than I originally anticipated from future vacations or just to have them around the house.

To everybody – from all the boards – Thank you so much!

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1455 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 3/21/2009 4:57 PM
If you are a history buff, I used to really enjoy a series called "The Australians" by William Stuart Long. The first three books are "The Exiles", "The Settlers", "The Traitors". The series came out in the early 90s. They're novels about the beginnings of Australia that mix fictionalized characters with real people.

Author: WuLong Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1458 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 4/6/2009 9:07 AM
I hope I'm not too late to chime in.

I heartily recommend Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series, which covers the fall of the Republic and the start of the Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Rome

It begins with The First Man in Rome, covering the rise of Gaius Marius ~110BC.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1468 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 5/18/2010 7:13 PM
I love the Maeve Binchy novels -- slice of life about folks in Ireland. I've read all her books numerous times.

Many moons ago, I also really enjoyed "The Australians" series. The author had about 12 out when I got away from reading them in the late 80s. I don't know how many he has now. He combined fiction with actual historical 'personages'. The series started in England with the first boatload of criminals deported to Australia. Each successive book progressed through history. When I finally stopped reading them, he was at the Boer War. I'm sure the series has gone through WWII by now.

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1469 of 1482
Subject: Re: share your favorite book(s)?? Date: 5/18/2010 7:14 PM
I guess I need to read through the whole thread before responding. LOL

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement