UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: horsegoer One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76101  
Subject: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a sharebuilder acount(IRA&Individual) that automatically withdraws money from my checking once a month. Now that I am thinking about this, it can't be good.

I am forced to accept the price at that given time(good or bad). I believe I,and anyone, should decide what price they will by an investment at.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42537 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I agree. I don't know anything about sharebuilder, but can't you deposit to a money market and then trade later?

Author: Ceberon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42538 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 1:30 PM
Why would you turn on automatic investing if you want to trade? Of course it could be good if you wanted to automatically invest.

If automatic trading is good or bad is another story (since most on the Retirement Investing board will believe in buy & hold).

This post makes no sense, it seems like a troll.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42539 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 1:32 PM
This post makes no sense, it seems like a troll.

I disagree reading the last 10 pposts - it's more likely someone who did something without fully understanding the implications.

rad

Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42540 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 1:44 PM
Recommendations: 1
Greetings horse,

I am forced to accept the price at that given time(good or bad). I believe I,and anyone, should decide what price they will by an investment at.

Then get a real discount broker and use limit orders and realize that you give up guaranteed execution for price control. IOW, just because you put in a limit order to buy a stock at a specified price doesn't mean it will happen, e.g. anyone think BRK.B would trade at $5/share?

Regards,
JB

Author: pekinrobin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42541 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 2:12 PM
This is called "dollar cost averaging," and you can get into quite a war over whether it's good or bad. I don't do it, as I tend to save up my cash in big chewy chunks and then make some big buy, but I can't say I've beaten the market by doing this -- but neither will "dollar cost averaging" or any other gimmick.

Author: Ceberon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42542 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 2:23 PM
I disagree reading the last 10 pposts - it's more likely someone who did something without fully understanding the implications.

Good point, I just checked on the last few posts as well.

Ok, then I believe that you should not attempt trading on your own until you have a lot more information at your disposal to be able to make an educated choice. You can always choose to pick your stocks (and attempt to market time), or you can choose to invest regularly and dollar cost average into an index (or into specific stocks).

In either case, it sounds like you're just starting, so I'd say you should stick with automatic investing for now.

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42543 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/1/2004 5:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
horsegoer...

I have a sharebuilder acount(IRA&Individual) that automatically withdraws money from my checking once a month. Now that I am thinking about this, it can't be good.

----------

Take a look at Morningstar's Primer on "Dollar Cost Averaging" and then you can decide for yourself whether DCAing is right for you or not:

http://news.morningstar.com/news/MS/Investing101/DollarCostAveraging/dollarcostaveraging.html

Regards,
Bill

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 42551 of 76101
Subject: Re: Sharebuilder auto investing Date: 10/2/2004 4:06 PM
I thought that I would pass on the "Buy-and-Hold" thoughts of many of the authors of the most widely read books on investing which was compliled by Taylor Larimore from "The Vanguard Diehards" Site. Mr. Larimore's wisdom is also regularly sought after on this site:

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSocialize/Asp/FullConv.asp?forumId=F100000015&convSeqNumber=37086&mrr=1096735500

Regards,
Bill

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement