Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19255  
Subject: Re: Poll: Where to live Date: 7/19/2013 4:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
She feels young and alive and thinks a 55+ place is for the elderly. But she might enjoy being in the same facility/community with a couple of friends when she's older and alone. Also, is she accustomed to taking care of things like bill paying, arranging for services like car maintenance, lawn care, handyman? If you take care of all that, a SFH might be a little overwhelming when she's suddenly alone and grieving.

My mother's 87 and happy in a SFH. She always took care of everything--bill paying, arranging for services, so no adjustment on that score after Daddy died. A bigger adjustment was the fact that he did all the cooking after he retired, many years before she did.

She isn't staying there for the memories--she bought this house next door to me a couple of years after Daddy died. She's a little lonely sometimes, but she has her clubs and friends, errands and chores. She doesn't drive much any more, and this isn't a place with good public transit. When I'm home (we travel a lot, these days gone about 6 months a year), I take her on every kind of appointment--this time, I made most of the appointments for her. I think she's beginning to lose a tiny bit of executive function at this point. I tried to persuade her to go into the local continuing care community, which has active living, assisted living, and nursing home all on a single campus, but she finds the thought of being around so many old people repellant(!).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement