Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rhecker One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Re: paying too much on taxes?? Date: 6/22/2000 1:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
She felt that she has been paying too much on taxes over the last few years and was asking me why. I know that when you sell shares of stocks, you will be taxed on the gains even if reinvest in other stocks. Is this the same for mutual funds? Her advisor moves her money around almost monthly, but always stays in the same fund family (I don't agree with his choices, but that's another story). Will she be taxed on gains from each time shares are sold to buy shares in another fund?

The short answer is yes. Your grandmother is probably paying way too much on taxes. Medium length answer is that when you sell a stock which has risen in value, you generally pay capital gains on it (unless it's in an IRA or something like that). Since mutual funds are made up of many different stocks, selling a mutual fund at a profit will incur capital gains taxes. But taxes are not the only issue when dealing with advisors and mutual funds.

For a nice, more detailed answer and a good overview of mutual funds and why you shouldn't own one, go here:

http://www.fool.com/school/mutualfunds/mutualfunds.htm
Pay particular attention to the sections about "Costs" and "Index Funds".

In my personal opinion, it sounds like your grandmother's advisor is playing with her money. I mean, that's what he gets paid to do, right? If he just let it sit in one fund for many years and didn't actually DO anything, why would anybody pay for his services? Every time a stock or a mutual fund is traded, there are costs and commissions associated with the transaction. And your grandmother is the one paying for it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement