Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: scotaku Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44390  
Subject: She said, "Yes!" Date: 6/5/2002 1:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 61
Good morning all...

For those not aware, I just took vacation to Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun in Estados Unidos Mexico.

I'd planned on asking my girlfriend to marry me by posing for a picture in front of a statue of sea turtles in the little town on the island. Jody is a big fan of the tortuga of all shapes and sizes and I thought it'd catch her off guard to ask her underneath the statue.

So here I was, ready to propse to her when we wheeled up to the site in our rented golf cart (Isla is the definition of laid back). The statue was impressive as was the view of the Caribean Sea from that vantage point... that is until you walk up to the statue and notice an incredible amount of construction debris behind it up against the sea wall. Urg. "Ew, that's gross!" was Jody's exclamation... no, this was the wrong place. Quick. Think of something else.

I half took her for a walk on the beach at night but that evening was too still and the bugs were biting. I had to make a move sometime because I'd asked her father for his blessing! I couldn't come home still a single guy!

Heaven smiled on me and placed the perfect opportunity in my hands. One of my and Jody's first dates had been to a paint-yer-own pottery shop. She'd planned it in return for my planning some other special evenings... we were growing closer at the time and were just beginning to fall for each other. Fast forward to Mexico and a gentle lady with her daughter offering small Mexican pottery for us to paint adjacent to the beach in Paradise... we couldn't resist. I couldn't stop myself from reminding her of that one of our first few dates together.

I chose a small box shaped like a turtle for obvious reasons and she chose the same in a smaller size. I purposefully painted mine in a rather unoriginal way to not give away the plot that was brewing in my heart... er... head.

As we painted, my hands were shaking. I blamed it on needing some sugar and asked Jody to get us a coupla piña coladas from the beachside bar at our condo. While she was away I quickly scribbled "Will you marry me" inside the turtle box. I showed it to the lady who would glaze and fire them for us. She did not understand my severely mangled Spanish (never took lessons) but understood when I showed her the ring. It would be two days wait for the turtles to be finished... she would meet us at that same place by noon on Sunday.

Saturday was spent in awe of the ruins at Tulum as we drove 100K south of Cancun in a rented Nissan Tsuru (Sentra) without a radio. We reflected on our time together both on vacation and as a couple. Tulum was incredible as was Xel Ha where we stopped to enjoy some breathtaking snorkeling for the afternoon. We took in the Germany/Saudi Arabia slaughter, er, futbol game over dinner in Playa Del Carmen... Jody obliged me and took my picture in front of the VW dealership there. I love her so very much.

Sunday arrived late in the morning having spent several hours waiting for the ferry to Isla having missed the last regular one by ten minutes. We'd made some new friends during the wait but were dead tired. It would be a day on the beach with no other plans whatsoever... at least in Jody's mind.

As we grabbed our things and headed for the beach, I secretly stashed her ring in easy reach. I knew the turtles would be ready. I was a little panicked when the lady wasn't there, but I didn't let it show. I let Jody remember that we were to pick them up and then realize the lady wasn't around. As we walked back towards the beach, there she was...

Underneath palms and palapas beside the pool of our condo and the tranquil Playa Norte, my turtle was unwrapped. The lady had finished them each with small details making them more beautiful that I'd thought they might turn out. She handed me mine and I promptly fumbled and almost dropped it!

One good catch later, the shell was on top of mine concealing the message inside. Jody was admiring her turtle box as I truned to share mine with her. She admired it though she said it looked too much like a real turtle... which is when I opened it and revealed to her my question inside.

She was speechless.

I reached into my pocket and produced the ring. I said to her, "I need an answer. Will you marry me?" She smiled and looked at me saying, "Yes!" as I placed the ring on her finger.

She couldn't grasp what was going on... she said she turned numb as if she'd been removed from the earth. Going to the beach was the furthest thing from her mind. She needed to go somewhere. She needed to go back to our condo.

After many happy tears and finally being able to pick her jaw up off the floor I confessed that I need her. I cannot live without her. She's a part of me I won't function without. And I'm thrilled that she feels the same for me though I never needed to ask. I asked her father face to face for his permission and surprised her with a ring we can both be happy with. It will become her wedding band as we shop together... we both got what we wanted out of the experience; I got to be old-fashioned and gentlemanly like I'd always dreamed and she gets to create the ring she's always wanted.

I think I did pretty good. And I can't wait to see where our future takes us. In God's hands is where I place our marriage so I know it will be safe through anything we face.
_______

- Sco
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement