Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
She told me the same thing that it's not possible by law to remove a bad entry on line 76.

You may be sick to death of this, but I'd love to see the Internal Revenue Code citation for that claim. You cannot change an application of this year's overpayment to next year's estimated tax, which is in the neighborhood (line 75 of the 2010 1040), but I never heard anyone claim that you cannot abate an erroneously assessed penalty, even one shown on the return. I must admit, though, that I never ran into your exact situation. I got plenty of them changed in response to an IRS calculation and billing.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.