UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: cable666 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Crazy Machine - Part II Date: 6/9/1998 6:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Shealy,

Thank you for the feedback. To answer your questions:

<<Are these joint accounts which you're not paying?>>
Yes. One is, two are not. I'm married so in the eyes of Calif law, they are both our debts anyways. My wife and I aren't getting divorced over this.

<<Have you explained to your wife that you could pay
off all these bills in a matter of weeks>>
Yes. She feels that same way I do.

<<I'll bet you and your wife have just been
a JOY around each other with the calls from collectors firing in without end and the constant legal
negotiations>>

My mental state since I descended into delinquncy has never been better. I was a real mess before this happened while I stressed over how to pay the rent and stay current on the credit cards. Since I made the decision that I can't, I've felt much better. I was a real stress case late last year.

<<What does she think about you risking the roof over your family's head, the food on your family's plate, your family's financial creditworthiness>>

She is aware of the risks, options, and stratigies. I keep her informed of all developments, and we discuss this in detail.

<<And I'm SURE that your kid sees and picks up on NONE of this, right??>>

We don't have any children. What I have is my wife's 28 year old brother with severe mental and substance abuse problems. He lives with us because he would otherwise be on the street. The subject of my bum brother-in-law would open up enourmous discussions more appropriate for an AA forum than MF. Bottom line, he is family.

<<Just b/c $32000 is less than $60000 does not mean that the CC's money didn't fund your 401K.>>

I did not intend to do this. This illustrates the insidous nature of CC debt. I was just bumping merrilly along, make 401K contrubutions like I was suppossed to, and using my credit cards just like most Americans do. Except I my case, the CC debts crept up and up until one more emergancy pushed me over the brink. I find myself in this situation today and I need to make INFORMED decisions.

I think any American with a retirement account and CC debt is subsidising (sp?) their debt habit. The key is to strike a balance. In my case, I failed. I spent more than I should have. I know that given the way things were going, giving up 401K contributions would have only postponed the inevitable crash with reality for another year.

<<There's no reason for you, your wife, or your kids to
go through ANY further pain or suffering.>>

That's why I'm here, bud.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (69) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement