No. of Recommendations: 2
Sheesh - most people live behind routers which, should a sophisticated attacker want to spend the effort, likely offer little protection (one has only to peek at the Snowden stuff to understand this). That said, there are few of us who are going to be targeted by "the men in black" who have the tools to tear our networks asunder.

Making sure your firmware is up to date, that you use secure passwords and follow best practices of PC and network behaviour and protection will keep most people relatively safe. Bruce S. talks about security theatre, but I'm pretty sure that changing your router's user name and password to something other than "admin" doesn't fall under that heading (and probably describes more people's routers than you might think).

For those who want to spend more than the five minutes of patching security I suggested, but don't feel up to buying a "real" commercial class router, I'd suggest reading the offerings explained here:

https://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

DD-WRT is a very well crafted, open source router operating system which will run on a wide variety of inexpensive routers. If you put a bit of effort into setting up a router based on this free software, you'll have an equivalent, but far less expensive, security solution.

Jeff
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement