No. of Recommendations: 2
Sheople asks "What simple thing am I missing?"

I think part of the issue is that one of the inputs is Average Annual Return. In a perfect world the answer to your question is as follows. When you entered the data in '07 you may have used a figure like 9% for average annual return. In the interim the market has crashed and lost 30% of its value. In light of this drop, one might (I know this is a big assumption) now say that market is poised to deliver 11% annual returns because we are starting at a lower valuation. Taking your now smaller sum of money and entering a higher annual rate of return should give you roughly the same amount at the end.

Obviously, when you enter a number for average annual return, you realize that the market will not return 8 or 9% each and every year. Some years it will return 20% other years it will be down 15%. You happened to begin the process of longterm buy and hold the year that the market lost 30%. Therefore, if you truly believed your initial input for average annual returns, you must recalculate it slightly higher going forward to reflect that the first year had a large negative return.

Now this is the theory; but whether or not our current financial crisis has permanently changed the rules of the game, only time will tell.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement