UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 52758 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41634  
Subject: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 8/25/2007 7:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
TMF Murph:
Could you please give me a link to Sheridan's spreadsheet? (it has a .net affix, I think. I had it some time ago but now it has escaped into the world of deletion. It isn't in the list of downloadable screens, yet it's referred to and praised endlessly.
Tom
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwinDeltaTandem Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26535 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 8/25/2007 12:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://darren78.homeip.net/investments/bmw/

Try that one, Tom. (It's not really a screen, by the way. It's more of a DD tool that provides what I think to be a superior BMW-type visual means of coming up with a target price).

John

Author: 52758 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26577 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 8/28/2007 5:13 AM
Murph:
I misspoke. I meant worksheet.
Tom

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26586 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 8/28/2007 10:45 AM
Hi Tom!

Sorry, but I don't have a link to Sheridan's "worksheet"....perhaps Sheridan or others do.....

Cheers!
Murph

Author: asteele Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26594 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 8/28/2007 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Tom --

Try

Cheers, Art

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40694 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 9/1/2012 9:22 PM

Try that one, Tom. (It's not really a screen, by the way. It's more of a DD tool that provides what I think to be a superior BMW-type visual means of coming up with a target price).

I haven't been able to get this working lately. A few years ago, it worked for me. Now,I've downloaded it three times, but I always get this message when I try to run it:

SytemOverflowException:
Not a legal OleAut date.
at System.DateTime. Ticks
to OADtate(Int64 value)
at h.b (List1 A_O)
at ab.e (IAsyncResult A_O)

I have no idea what any of the message means.

culcha

Author: NightVision One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40700 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 9/8/2012 8:06 PM

Has anyone gotten this to work?
I get an error message that says System Overflow Exception and other items that I have no idea waht they mean.

NightVision

Author: tgrshark13 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40701 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 9/9/2012 2:03 PM
Recommendations: 2
I get that same message when using MSN as the source. When using Yahoo as the source, it works for me.

Author: culcha Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40702 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 9/9/2012 2:55 PM
I get that same message when using MSN as the source. When using Yahoo as the source, it works for me.

Same here. MSN brings up a message that I can't understand (and, apparently, is not understood by anyone on the computer help board here at this site).

But it works when I change the source to Yahoo.

culcha

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40705 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 9/10/2012 1:01 PM
I cant get it to work in Win. 7

Author: maniladad Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40758 of 41634
Subject: Re: Sheridan's Spreadsheet Date: 10/25/2012 6:12 AM
In his instructions to his program - which seems to be great - Sheridan wrote: "Source - Enter the data source. To use split-adjusted closing prices, use MSN. To use split- and dividend- adjusted closing prices, use Yahoo!. Be careful when using dividend-adjusted closing prices and comparing prices against fundamentals. This has the effect of making historical prices look cheaper compared to fundamentals, since fundamentals are only split-, and not dividend-adjusted." Since Yahoo! is the only way many - possibly all - of us can use the spreadsheet, I thought it worth pointing that out.

Second, on my first trial, using Markel Corp (MKL) I noticed a pattern that I described in BMWM post 40683. Many stocks on Mike Klein's screen with graphs for 30 to 40 years show a pattern of tracking a CAGR up to about 2008, then running horizontal (on the logarithmic scale, down on regular scale) up to the present. Shorter term graphs on the same stock show close tracking on a new CAGR. You can check it out on Mike Klein's newest screen that shows all the stocks.
A lot of smart guys offered plausible comments and explanations about this pattern but I'm not quite convinced. It seems to me that there are too many companies following the same pattern to be due to company-specific causes. Since 2008 was a time of major recession, I was speculating whether, in effect, rigid definitions not withstanding, it would be reasonable to use the paradigm that the recession of 2008 never ended and has rather simply merged with other economic factors to remain hidden. My grasp of economic principles is pretty weak but I'd appreciate some comments on this speculation.
D (always more questions than answers)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement